No more texture!

It’s not that we have a problem with texture, but well, we do have a problem with textured ceilings.

As we mentioned last week, our bedroom ceiling suffers from a bad case of textured paint:

We didn’t like the feel (both literally and figuratively) that it gave to the room.  Frankly, it made the ceiling feel low and the room feel smaller than it was.  We decided that removing the texture was going to be too labor-intensive, was going to release too many fumes into our house, and was going to generally annoy us.  So, we decided to cover the texture with drywall.

We didn’t expect to start this project last weekend, since we hoped to do more patio digging.  Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate:

(We never thought digging was going to take us into snow-season!)  So, we seized the opportunity and started covering the ceiling.

Well, first we covered the floors.  We are planning to pull out the rug and expose the hardwood floors underneath, but in the meantime, we knew that spackle dust should be contained as much as possible.  Plus, we didn’t know where we would put our bed and our bedroom furniture while we were sanding.  The thought of sleeping in spackle dust for the next 15 years did not sound appealing.  So we bought way-too-much plastic from Home Depot and covered every inch of our bedroom.

 

Then, Krister roughed out a few holes for the recessed lighting, a future chandelier, and our existing ceiling fan.  We figured that roughing them out before we put up the ceiling would give us room for error (i.e. if Krister put the hole in the wrong place, we were covering it with drywall anyway, so it isn’t a big deal).

Then, we drywalled the ceiling.  We both carried the sheets of drywall upstairs.  Obviously, since we both had our hands full, no pictures were taken.  Kristin stood on a step ladder and held the drywall against the ceiling while Krister and his handy drill screwed the drywall in place.  If anyone who is reading this is contemplating undertaking this task, we want to warn you: drywall is heavy and you will be sore when it’s done.

The bedroom immediately looked better.  The drywall alone – without spackle or paint – made the room look and feel bigger and more modern.  Looking back, we can’t believe we even considered scraping the texture off the ceiling, because drywall was so inexpensive and easy.  Here’s how it looked with the drywall over the whole ceiling:

The cost of the project so far?  We used 7 sheets of drywall at about $6.50 each and one box of drywall screws, bringing the cost of this part of the project to about $50.  We also spent $24.99 on an obscene amount of plastic for the bedroom floor and we haven’t even made a dent in our supply.  We haven’t spackled and sanded yet, but we have all the materials for that already, so we won’t have to incur additional cost unless we run out.

Our next steps are:

  1. Make sure the drywall is screwed into the studs.  Right now, we put the drywall into the ceiling along the edges of the drywall.  To make it extra strong, we want to make sure a few screws go through the ceiling studs.
  2. Rough out the holes for the recessed lights and the ceiling fan.  We’re going to do that before applying the joint compound so that we don’t spackle in areas that will be cut out of the ceiling.  We’re not going to rough out the hole for the future chandelier until we find a chandelier that we like because we’re not sure how big the hole will need to be for the chandelier until we buy it.
  3. Spackle, spackle, spackle.  Krister is a compulsive spackler so this step will take awhile.  We’re hoping it won’t take too long though because we need to move back into our bedroom before the holidays since we have guests visiting.  We can’t sleep in the guest room forever!
  4. Paint the ceiling Benjamin Moore’s White Chocolate to match the trim and the rest of the house.
  5. Install the ceiling fan.
  6. Install the recessed lights.
  7. Add crown molding to the edges to cover up the seam between the drywall on the ceiling and the walls.  We could seal it up with spackle, but we want crown molding in there anyway, so we’re going to just cover it up.

We’ll be able to move back into our bedroom between steps 6 and 7.  If the weather keeps inhibiting our digging activities, then it looks like we’ll be back in our bedroom in just a couple of weeks!

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “No more texture!

  1. Pingback: Mood lighting « Kristin & Krister's Blog

  2. Pingback: Ceiling Fan Update « Kristin & Krister's Blog

  3. Pingback: A bedroom ceiling update « Kristin & Krister's Blog

  4. Pingback: Master Bedroom: The ceiling is done! « Kristin & Krister's Blog

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: